Innovation and excellence in science and health
New Papworth Hospital
Final approval for the new Papworth Hospital was secured in March 2015. The hospital which is being built by Skanska is a 40,000m2 specialised cardiothoracic hospital. The design combines a highly efficient clinical layout with a stunning external appearance. Set in beautifully landscaped grounds, they capture the essence of the original rurally located tuberculosis hospital that grew to become the pioneering heart and lung treatment and transplant centre of excellence that the hospital is today.
Building information modelling technology will be used in the design phase to maximise energy efficiency and ensure the hospital offers long-term flexibility. The technology is also being used to engage clinicians in the construction process.
The hospital is expected to open early 2018 and facilities will include:
- 310 beds, with virtually all being single rooms
- 46-bed Critical Care Area including Cardiac Recovery Unit and Cardiac High Dependency Unit
- 7 state-of-the-art theatres
- 5 Catheter Laboratories
- 6 inpatient wards and a 24-bed day ward
- A centrally-located outpatient unit
- State-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities
Papworth Hospital – FAQ
CGI of new Papworth Hospital
Click here to see the construction site from our live camera
Back to new buildings