|Description||Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – known as CUH – runs Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Rosie Hospital. Both Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie are recognised as centres of medical excellence and innovation. CUH’s role in Cambridge University Health Partners (CUHP) – one of the first NHS academic health science centres – makes it one of the richest pools of clinical and scientific knowledge and expertise in the NHS.
As an internationally known university teaching hospital, CUH provides specialist services dealing with rare or complex conditions that need the most modern facilities, the most up-to-date treatment, and the best doctors, nurses and clinical staff.
The Trust’s strength lies in the combination of its different roles:
• as a local hospital for Cambridge and the surrounding area
• a specialist hospital – regionally, nationally and internationally
• a teaching hospital for the University of Cambridge
• a major research centre – part of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
• a member of the new Eastern Academic Health Science Network
These connections combine to deliver positive benefits for our patients.
Building on these different elements, CUH’s vision is to be one of the best academic healthcare organisations in the world.
Our priorities focus on a quality service which is all about people – patients, staff and partners. Our values – kind, safe and excellent – are at the heart of patient care, defining the way we work and behave.
Cambridge University Hospitals is one of the very few places in the UK that provides a centre of research excellence together with a complete clinical infrastructure. Cambridge scientists have long been pushing at the frontiers of knowledge and have made outstanding contributions to medicine-related science.
In the hospital, clinical teams work alongside world-class scientists and it is this co-existence of experience and expertise that fosters translational research – turning basic science into new drugs and new therapies to improve patient care.
|Overview ||Through Addenbrooke’s Hospital, emergency, surgical and medical services are provided for people living in the Cambridge area – and the hospital is also a centre of excellence for regional specialist services like paediatrics, neurosciences, organ transplantation, cancer and genetics.
|Addenbrooke's history and background ||Addenbrooke's was one of the first provincial, voluntary hospitals in Britain. It opened in 1766 in Trumpington Street after Dr John Addenbrooke left just over £4500 in his will "to hire and fit up, purchase or erect a small, physical hospital in the town of Cambridge for poor people". The Hospital grew rapidly during the 19th and early 20th centuries and by the 1950s was having difficulty accommodating the expansion generated by the introduction of the National Health Service. In 1959, building began on a new 66-acre site south of Cambridge, and the first phase of the new hospital was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in May 1962. The building of stage two, the biggest hospital contract in the UK at the time, was completed in 1972 at a cost of £12 million – more than ten times the cost of stage one – reflecting the fact that it was ten times bigger than the first stage, with a vastly greater infrastructure.
In 1993, Addenbrooke's, Fulbourn, the Rosie and their associated community services combined to form the Addenbrooke's NHS Trust. In 2004, Addenbrooke's became one of the first NHS Foundation Trusts which is today know as Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation Trust.
|The Rosie Hospital
|Overview ||On the same site, the Rosie Hospital offers maternity and women’s services, with its own theatre suite, maternal and fetal assessment unit, ultrasound department, and neonatal intensive care unit. It is the regional centre of excellence for maternity care, and also provides gynaecology services to the local and regional population.
The Rosie Hospital is Cambridge's first purpose-built maternity hospital and was opened on Addenbrooke's Hospital's Hills Road site in October 1983, as the successor to Mill Road Maternity Hospital. Established with a significant benefaction from local philanthropist David Robinson, it was named after his mother. It is located adjacent to Addenbrooke's and contains 120 maternity and women's beds. It has its own theatre suite, fetal assessment unit, ultrasound department and neonatal intensive care unit. It is the regional centre of excellence for maternity care with around 5,000 babies born there each year.
Gynaecology services are provided to the local and regional populations of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdon, North Essex and East and North Hertfordshire, Suffolk and Bedfordshire. In recent years, the Rosie's role as a specialist centre for women with complex gynaecological problems has increased significantly, particularly in the area of gynaecological cancer and reproductive medicine. Patient care benefits from the clinical research and teaching undertaken by the University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology embedded within the Rosie Hospital as part of the School of Clinical Medicine.
|History and background ||After the War the Cambridgeshire County Council decided to turn the Poor Law Infirmary on Mill Road, which had seen over 1,000 births in 1944, into a Maternity Unit, and in 1946 plans were drawn up for a hospital of 150 beds. These plans were shelved because of the imminent creation of the National Health Service (NHS). However, after the start of the NHS in 1948 the County Council went ahead with the Maternity Hospital and on 5 July 1948 it became the Maternity Hospital, Mill Road and part of the United Cambridge Hospitals. It was made up of 91 beds, a 6-bed premature baby unit, and 24 beds for female geriatric patients
In 1961 the Ministry of Health agreed to move the Maternity Hospital to the New Site with the move to be made in 1975 with the Phase III development of the site. The move still had not happened by 1980 when the East Anglian Regional Health Authority agreed to the re-siting of the Mill Road Hospital to the New Site beginning in 1988-89 and to be finished by 1990-91. However, in the same year David Robinson, a local philanthropist, offered £3,000,000 to build a new maternity hospital on the Hills Road site as long as the planning and building were completed by 1983 and it was named after his mother. The Rosie Maternity Hospital, Cambridge’s first purpose-built maternity hospital, opened in October 1983.
|More about Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
|2011/2012||- 1,000 beds
- 40 wards
- 8,200 staff
- 528,707 outpatients visits
- 5,785 births
- 109,296 day cases
- 70,402 total inpatients admissions
- 98,695 A&E attendances
- £577m income
- 33 operating theatres
- 5 intensive care units
|Structure ||All the clinical departments at CUH are clustered together into seven divisional directorates. Each division is headed by a divisional director supported by a deputy divisional director responsible for research governance and research strategy. The divisions are supported by three directors of operations reporting to the chief nurse/operating officer and the medical director.
|Clinical divisions||•Cancer: Oncology and Cancer
•Emergency and Perioperative Care
•Investigative Sciences: Pathology, Radiology and Medical Physics
•Neurosciences: Neurology, Neurosciences, Stroke and Therapy Services
•Surgery Division: including Transplant
•Women’s and Children’s
|Key dates and achievements||1766 Addenbrooke’s opened in Trumpington Street, Cambridge
1962 the first stage of the hospitals development on the Hills Road campus was opened by HM the Queen
1999 the Trust published the 2020 Vision – the long-term campus development
2004 Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie became part of Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – one of the first in the country
2006 CUH became one of the government’s five National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) comprehensive biomedical research centres
2008 CUH was named as ‘Acute Healthcare Organisation of the Year’ in the Health Service Journal Awards
2009 CUH and its partners in clinical care, education and research formed an alliance as one of the government’s new Academic Health Science Centres – as Cambridge University Health Partners
CUH named as one of the best performing trusts for patient safety by
Formal planning consent given for the Cambridge Biomedical Campus and the master-plan for development unveiled
2012 Celebrated 50 years since HM the Queen officially opened the hospital
Named Trust of the Year – by Dr Foster in their 2012 Hospital Guide
2013 in May, HM the Queen officially opened the new Rosie Hospital