Innovation and excellence in science and health

Clinical services

Clinical services

Currently clinical services on the Campus are delivered through Cambridge University Hospitals – Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie. Papworth Hospital is due to relocate to the Campus in 2017. Addenbrooke’s provides emergency, surgical and medical care for local people and is also a regional centre of excellence for specialist services such as organ transplantation, neurosciences, paediatrics and genetics. The Rosie is a women’s hospital and the regional centre of excellence for maternity care.

 

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
DescriptionCambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – known as CUH – runs Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Rosie Hospital. Both Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie are recognised as centres of medical excellence and innovation. CUH’s role in Cambridge University Health Partners (CUHP) – one of the first NHS academic health science centres – makes it one of the richest pools of clinical and scientific knowledge and expertise in the NHS.
As an internationally known university teaching hospital, CUH provides specialist services dealing with rare or complex conditions that need the most modern facilities, the most up-to-date treatment, and the best doctors, nurses and clinical staff.

Different roles
The Trust’s strength lies in the combination of its different roles:
• as a local hospital for Cambridge and the surrounding area
• a specialist hospital – regionally, nationally and internationally
• a teaching hospital for the University of Cambridge
• a major research centre – part of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
• a member of the new Eastern Academic Health Science Network
These connections combine to deliver positive benefits for our patients.
Building on these different elements, CUH’s vision is to be one of the best academic healthcare organisations in the world.
Our priorities focus on a quality service which is all about people – patients, staff and partners. Our values – kind, safe and excellent – are at the heart of patient care, defining the way we work and behave.

Research
Cambridge University Hospitals is one of the very few places in the UK that provides a centre of research excellence together with a complete clinical infrastructure. Cambridge scientists have long been pushing at the frontiers of knowledge and have made outstanding contributions to medicine-related science.
In the hospital, clinical teams work alongside world-class scientists and it is this co-existence of experience and expertise that fosters translational research – turning basic science into new drugs and new therapies to improve patient care.

Addenbrooke's Hospital
Overview Through Addenbrooke’s Hospital, emergency, surgical and medical services are provided for people living in the Cambridge area – and the hospital is also a centre of excellence for regional specialist services like paediatrics, neurosciences, organ transplantation, cancer and genetics.
Addenbrooke's history and background Addenbrooke's was one of the first provincial, voluntary hospitals in Britain. It opened in 1766 in Trumpington Street after Dr John Addenbrooke left just over £4500 in his will "to hire and fit up, purchase or erect a small, physical hospital in the town of Cambridge for poor people". The Hospital grew rapidly during the 19th and early 20th centuries and by the 1950s was having difficulty accommodating the expansion generated by the introduction of the National Health Service. In 1959, building began on a new 66-acre site south of Cambridge, and the first phase of the new hospital was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in May 1962. The building of stage two, the biggest hospital contract in the UK at the time, was completed in 1972 at a cost of £12 million – more than ten times the cost of stage one – reflecting the fact that it was ten times bigger than the first stage, with a vastly greater infrastructure.

In 1993, Addenbrooke's, Fulbourn, the Rosie and their associated community services combined to form the Addenbrooke's NHS Trust. In 2004, Addenbrooke's became one of the first NHS Foundation Trusts which is today know as Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation Trust.

The Rosie Hospital
Overview On the same site, the Rosie Hospital offers maternity and women’s services, with its own theatre suite, maternal and fetal assessment unit, ultrasound department, and neonatal intensive care unit. It is the regional centre of excellence for maternity care, and also provides gynaecology services to the local and regional population.

The Rosie Hospital is Cambridge's first purpose-built maternity hospital and was opened on Addenbrooke's Hospital's Hills Road site in October 1983, as the successor to Mill Road Maternity Hospital. Established with a significant benefaction from local philanthropist David Robinson, it was named after his mother. It is located adjacent to Addenbrooke's and contains 120 maternity and women's beds. It has its own theatre suite, fetal assessment unit, ultrasound department and neonatal intensive care unit. It is the regional centre of excellence for maternity care with around 5,000 babies born there each year.

Gynaecology services are provided to the local and regional populations of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdon, North Essex and East and North Hertfordshire, Suffolk and Bedfordshire. In recent years, the Rosie's role as a specialist centre for women with complex gynaecological problems has increased significantly, particularly in the area of gynaecological cancer and reproductive medicine. Patient care benefits from the clinical research and teaching undertaken by the University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology embedded within the Rosie Hospital as part of the School of Clinical Medicine.
History and background After the War the Cambridgeshire County Council decided to turn the Poor Law Infirmary on Mill Road, which had seen over 1,000 births in 1944, into a Maternity Unit, and in 1946 plans were drawn up for a hospital of 150 beds. These plans were shelved because of the imminent creation of the National Health Service (NHS). However, after the start of the NHS in 1948 the County Council went ahead with the Maternity Hospital and on 5 July 1948 it became the Maternity Hospital, Mill Road and part of the United Cambridge Hospitals. It was made up of 91 beds, a 6-bed premature baby unit, and 24 beds for female geriatric patients

In 1961 the Ministry of Health agreed to move the Maternity Hospital to the New Site with the move to be made in 1975 with the Phase III development of the site. The move still had not happened by 1980 when the East Anglian Regional Health Authority agreed to the re-siting of the Mill Road Hospital to the New Site beginning in 1988-89 and to be finished by 1990-91. However, in the same year David Robinson, a local philanthropist, offered £3,000,000 to build a new maternity hospital on the Hills Road site as long as the planning and building were completed by 1983 and it was named after his mother. The Rosie Maternity Hospital, Cambridge’s first purpose-built maternity hospital, opened in October 1983.
More about Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
2011/2012- 1,000 beds
- 40 wards
- 8,200 staff
- 528,707 outpatients visits
- 5,785 births
- 109,296 day cases
- 70,402 total inpatients admissions
- 98,695 A&E attendances
- £577m income
- 33 operating theatres
- 5 intensive care units
Structure All the clinical departments at CUH are clustered together into seven divisional directorates. Each division is headed by a divisional director supported by a deputy divisional director responsible for research governance and research strategy. The divisions are supported by three directors of operations reporting to the chief nurse/operating officer and the medical director.
Clinical divisions•Cancer: Oncology and Cancer
•Emergency and Perioperative Care
•Investigative Sciences: Pathology, Radiology and Medical Physics
•Medicine
•Neurosciences: Neurology, Neurosciences, Stroke and Therapy Services
•Surgery Division: including Transplant
•Women’s and Children’s
Key dates and achievements1766 Addenbrooke’s opened in Trumpington Street, Cambridge
1962 the first stage of the hospitals development on the Hills Road campus was opened by HM the Queen
1999 the Trust published the 2020 Vision – the long-term campus development
2004 Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie became part of Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – one of the first in the country
2006 CUH became one of the government’s five National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) comprehensive biomedical research centres
2008 CUH was named as ‘Acute Healthcare Organisation of the Year’ in the Health Service Journal Awards
2009 CUH and its partners in clinical care, education and research formed an alliance as one of the government’s new Academic Health Science Centres – as Cambridge University Health Partners
CUH named as one of the best performing trusts for patient safety by
Dr Foster
Formal planning consent given for the Cambridge Biomedical Campus and the master-plan for development unveiled
2012 Celebrated 50 years since HM the Queen officially opened the hospital
Named Trust of the Year – by Dr Foster in their 2012 Hospital Guide
2013 in May, HM the Queen officially opened the new Rosie Hospital
Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Overview Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is the UK's largest specialist cardiothoracic hospital and the country's main heart and lung transplant centre. The hospital treats over 22,800 inpatient and day cases and 53,400 outpatients each year from across the UK. Services are internationally recognised and include cardiology, respiratory medicine, and cardiothoracic surgery and transplantation.
History and background The history of Papworth Hospital began with the Cambridgeshire Tuberculosis Colony which was founded in the village of Bourn in 1916 by Sir Pendrill Varrier-Jones and later expanded to Papworth Hall in 1918. In addition to treatment and rehabilitation, patients were offered access to financial support and paid work thereby facilitating longer-term treatment and recovery from the disease. The hospital was inherited by the newly formed National Health Service in 1948 and quickly established itself as one of the region's leading hospitals initially developing thoracic surgery followed by cardiac surgery and cardiology. In 1979, Papworth Hospital gained national attention when Sir Terence English performed the UK's first successful heart transplant.
Structure Papworth's internationally recognised cardiothoracic services fall into six categories:
1. Cardiac services
2. Thoracic services
3. Transplant services
4. Radiology services
5. Pathology services
6. Theatres, critical care and anaesthetics services
The Trust in detail in 2009/10• 276 beds
• 1628 staff
• Around 150 volunteers
• 70, 787 patients treated
• 5 operating theatres
• 5 angiographic suites
• 2 CT scanners
• 1 MRI scanner
• 10 inpatient wards
• 2 day wards
Milestones 1960 First operation using a heart and lung bypass machine
1962 First heart valve inserted in a patient
1967 First transvenous permanent cardiac pacemaker inserted
1979 First UK successful heart transplantation
1982 Coronary angioplasty commences
1984 UK’s first successful heart and lung transplantation; and Pulmonary Vascular Disease Unit opens
1985 World’s first transbronchial biopsy to detect rejection in lung transplants
1986 World’s first heart, lung and liver transplant
1988 Papworth’s first single lung transplant
1991 First implantable defibrillator inserted 1991; and first bi-lateral lung transplant
1992 The Respiratory Support and Sleep Centre opens; and first Ventricular Assist Device implant
1993 First operation using a heart laser
1994 The adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre opens
1994 First implantable LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device) operation
1996 1,000th transplant patient
1997 First percutaneous myocardial laser therapy for the treatment of refractory angina
2001 UK National Centre for pulmonary endarterectomy surgery established
2004 25 years of heart transplant
2005 Longest surviving heart transplant patient celebrates 25 years and longest surviving heart and lung transplant patient celebrates 20 years
2006 UK’s first beating heart transplant
2008 24/7 ‘Heart Attack Centre’ commences known as the Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PPCI) Service
2009 First subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator (S-CID) implanted
2009 500th Pulmonary endarterectomy operation carried out
Aug 2011 UK's 1st Total Artificial Heart Implant Patient goes home
New buildingCurrently located in the village of Papworth, the hospital is planning to re-locate to the Biomedical Campus in 2017. The vision is to build a 310-bed, purpose-built hospital with virtually 100% single rooms. The £165million project is being funded from private finance and public sector funding. Additionally, a Heart and Lung Research Institute, a joint venture between Papworth Hospital and the University of Cambridge, will be built on the campus adjacent to the new Hospital. It is anticipated that the construction will commence in early 2015. The construction and commissioning phase is expected to be complete by late 2017.
Clinical Services